For Shrimp Marinade
• 1 lb extra-large shrimp peeled and deveined
• 1/4 tsp salt
• 1/4 tsp black pepper freshly ground
• 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
• 2 tbsp lemon juice
For the sauce
• 1 tbsp coconut oil
• 1 medium onion chopped
• 3 cloves garlic minced
• 1 tbsp fresh ginger minced
• 1/2 tsp black pepper freshly ground
• 1 tsp salt or to taste
• 1/2 tsp turmeric
• 2 tsp ground coriander
• 1 tsp curry powder
• 7 oz diced tomatoes
• 13.5 oz coconut milk
• 2 tbsp cilantro for garnish (or parsley)
- In a small bowl toss the shrimp with the marinade ingredients. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 10 minutes.
- While the shrimp is marinating, heat the oil in a medium size skillet. Add the onion, and cook for 2 or 3 minutes until the onion softens and becomes translucent.
- Stir in the garlic, ginger, pepper, salt, coriander, turmeric, and curry powder. Cook for another minute.
- Add the diced tomatoes with juices, add coconut milk, stir and bring to a boil. Cook for about 5 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add the shrimp with the accumulated juices from the marinade and cook for another 3 minutes or until the shrimp is pink and cooked through. Add salt if needed.
- Serve while hot.