- 4 large egg whites
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 cup erythritol
- 16 ounces finely shredded, unsweetened dried coconut
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 ounces heavy cream
- 2 ounces Da Vinci Sugar Free White Chocolate Syrup (Buy on Amazon)
- 2 ounces Enjoy Life Semi-Sweet Mini Chocolate Chips (Buy on Amazon)
- Preheat oven to 325F. Line two large cookie sheets with parchment paper. In a large, squeaky clean* mixing bowl, beat egg whites, vanilla, cream of tartar, and salt with electric mixer on high speed until soft peaks form (tips curl). Add erythritol, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight). Fold in coconut.
- Beat cream cheese and heavy cream until smooth. Add in syrup and mix well. Add coconut mixture in thirds until combined. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Using a small ice cream scoop (1.25-inch bowl), drop coconut mixture in mounds on prepared cookie sheets. Place on separate racks in oven. Bake 20 -25 minutes. Turn off oven; let cookies dry in oven 30 minutes. Transfer to wire rack to cool.
- Store in airtight container in single layer at room temperature up to 5 days.
- Makes about 56 cookies.
*any trace of grease in the bowl will cause the egg whites to collapse.
Nutritional Information, each macaroon: 78 calories, 7g fat, 3g carbs, 2g fiber, 2g protein.
Here’s another interesting fact about coconut oil. It’s full of medium chain fats. These fatty acids can’t be stored in the body, so they are immediately burned for fuel when consumed. This produces lots of ketones in the body. In situations where the brain is unable to burn glucose for fuel, ketones can be used instead.
Of course, a ketogenic diet can have the same effect on brain function, which is why I think it’s the healthiest diet in the world. So, go ahead, enjoy this coconut macaroon recipe, it really is good for you.